You may be looking for a way to make a big difference to help save wildlife around the world. If you are 70½ or older, an IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help continue our conservation work while taking advantage of tax benefits.
Flowchart: Donor directs IRA custodian to make an IRA charitable rollover gift to .
Benefits of an IRA charitable rollover
- Avoid taxes on transfers of up to $100,000 from your IRA to San Diego Zoo Global
- Satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions
- Make a gift that is not subject to the deduction limits on charitable gifts
- Help save, protect, and care for wildlife
How an IRA charitable rollover gift works
- Click here for a sample letter.
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to the Zoo.
- Your IRA funds will be directly transferred to San Diego Zoo Global to help continue our important conservation work.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
- Individual retirement accounts do not allow the donor to receive any benefit in return for the charitable donation.
- Please contact us if you wish for your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
If you have any questions about an IRA charitable rollover gift, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer any questions you might have.